Friday, June 8, 2012

All the Way

Here's a poem by Agnes Ruth Nydam (1921-2012), my grandmother, who passed into the presence of her beloved Savior on May 31st. She nurtured me in my walk with the Lord and encouraged me in my passion for missions work. I was comforted to attend the funeral and conduct the committal on June 6, 2012 in Schererville, Indiana.

I last saw grandma in February 2012 when we returned to the States briefly for the extension of Kaori's permanent residence. We were invited to share concerning our work in Japan in the chapel service of her retirement home.

I will not forget the expression of pride and joy on her face as I entered the chapel. She had seated herself in the front row, center, surrounded by her friends to whom she announced proudly, "That's Kevin. That's my grandson!" Though confined to a wheelchair, she seemed to sit on the edge of her seat and crane her neck forward as I shared. Every so often she'd announce again (though there was no reason for anyone to forget), "That's my grandson!"

I felt the love of Father God expressed to me in her loving pride. The same Father God who declared to the world concerning Jesus, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased" (Mt. 3:17) was now also speaking through my grandmother similar words of affirmation and joy. I will miss you, grandma! (Her poem is below. Keep reading!)



ALL THE WAY (by Agnes Ruth Nydam)
Though the way is rough and steep,
And the caverns large and deep,
He will guide me through.

Though the night is long and drear,
And I feel temptation near,
He will see me through.

Though the powers of sin are strong,
And I know that Satan's wrong,
He will help me through.

So I trust Thee by Thy grace,
Until I see Thy wondrous face,
And Thy hand I still embrace
Thou hast shown me through.

No comments: