Tuesday, February 22, 2011

50-50 Day

Only a mathematician could determine the exact day, but it's pretty close. It's 50-50 day. Having turned 41 last month, my life can probably be divided in half. The first half...God's preparation in my life for ministry in Japan. The second half...well, mostly made up of ministry in Japan.

It was at the "tender" age of 20 1/2 in the summer of 1990 that I first stepped foot in Japan as a short-term missionary. Getting off the plane to Tokyo, I had little idea as to the crossroads in life I stood at. God was about to change the focus of everything for me. His love for the Japanese people was about to become my own (His love for one in particular--Kaori Fukase--was about to become my own, too).

At 41, my life has been more about Japan, than about anything else short of Him and my family. At 41, my heart aches twice as much as it did at 20 1/2 to see the Japanese return to their Creator. My passion for the revival and harvest in this country is twice as strong. 20 1/2 years...20 1/2 more years from now I will be nearing retirement. "Lord, help me to use the time you have given me to reach many, many Japanese with your Gospel of good news. Use me up for Your glory and name's sake. May I make You famous in this country."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin, you can't measure your
life by "201/2 more years from now I will be nearing retirement." As
those poeple who perished in the
earthquake in N.Z., our tommorrow belongs to God, whose hands we are in. They knew not the day they would be taken, "today is the day
of salvation." Give us this day
our daily bread (provision) and
keep us from evil (harm and temptation.) Do not be as that
rich man who built up his storehouses and thought all his
needs were meet, when God demanded
his life right after. All his goods went to another, only what
we do in love will be remembered.
Bear fruit worthy of repentance.

Kevin said...

Yes, I should have added "if God should will and so preserve my life, and if the Lord should tarry" to my post. It was the underlying assumption in what I wrote, but it is helpful to be reminded to have that humility. It is true that our lives truly are in the hands of God. A critical thing to remember.

Unknown said...

Wow!! I am encourged with your passion to continue the mission that God has for your life!!

Anonymous said...

Ernest said ...
I am approaching a slightly older milestone in the near future, but I am always mindful that the Lord wants me to finish well. May the Lord give you strength and encouragemnt and hope in the days ahead as you continue to do His Work .. finishing well!